Wednesday 20 October 2010

Ancillary Digipak Research

The image below is an example of a digipak. These CD cases are usually made of cardboard and fold out into about 4-6 differant parts. They are often used for double albums, or CD and DVD combination products.

Here is a slideshow video of some famous and relevant album covers which have given me inspiration for ideas for my digipak. As you can see there is a wide variety of differant album covers. Each one is very individual and styles are often assosiated with types of bands. Some bands have art type album covers, and others have photography based covers.


I will be designing a Digipak promoting my music video, here are some other famous examples of album covers i will be using for inspiration. The Queen album cover features the four band members against a black background. Although the cover is very simple, it has become one of the most iconic Queen images of all time, with the same concept later being used in the music video for Bohemian Rhapsody. This is something i am going to reflect on when i produce the digipak for my music video, by keeping it simple but effective.


The image below is the album cover for Arctic Monkeys first album "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" The cover is a photo of a friend of the band smoking. The cover was somewhat contraversial with many people critisizing it, saying that it was promoting smoking. Some alternative album covers were released with a similar image but without a cigarrette. Once again this album cover is very simple but also very effective.  


This is a quick draft of what the front cover of my digipak may look like. I have edited one of the images from my location research on Photoshop, changing colours and adding text. I have changed the colours so that only the postbox is in colour, emphasing the importance of it.
I have also added a script type font for the title of the artist and song.



No comments:

Post a Comment